We have discovered that making an opportunity for interactive discussion and learning is of most value to the people viewing the film. As a Training Resource it can be used :
- On its own, documentary style.
- On its own, followed by discussion in a one or two hour slot.
- Showing selected clips to illustrate points or generate discussion.
- As a half day workshop using the Training Pack.
The Training Pack can be used in different ways for social care and health staff, and related professions:
- Part of a staff induction programme
- Embedded in an organisation’s learning matrix
- Part of a course for students of social work, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy, nursing, psychology and medicine
- Staff team training – multidisciplinary or single professional
- Awareness training for staff in related areas whose work brings them into contact with family carers of people with learning disabilities, e.g. Housing and Finance Departments.
For Family Carers:
- In family carer groups to stimulate thought and discussion.
- To show their friends and relatives as a way of increasing their understanding of the experience of looking after an adult child with a learning disability.
Further information about the Training Resource Pack
Developed in partnership by Family Carers, Centre 404 and Islington’s Learning and Development Team.
“Learn With Us” is an educational film designed to be used in a training context. It isn’t a “how to” or instructional film, but ideas of good practice and ways of understanding family carers are woven into the interviews and role plays and help generate discussion.
Family Carers and Centre 404 worked together to develop a training resource using the DVD. Two facilitators lead each workshop, one of whom is a family carer with experience of a training role. This is not essential, but desirable if possible. During a 3-hour workshop the film is watched in sections, followed by facilitated discussion. Handouts pick up key points and group exercises encourage learning together.
The training pack contains everything needed to plan a session:
- The “Learn With Us” film in DVD and on USB stick in MP4 and USB formats.
- A suggested programme and timings for a 3 hour workshop.
- Notes and guidance to assist facilitators in leading discussions.
- Key quotes for the different sections of the workshop.
- How to prepare for and plan a training session.
- A transcript of the film’s dialogue, with the detailed timings for each person’s contribution.
- Two exercises to assist understanding.
- Five handouts with more detailed information about issues raised in the film.
- And the poem “For My Daughter” by Jo Roach that opens the film and sets the tone.
Training for Trainers workshops
We offer social service organisations, providers and colleges a Training for Trainers workshop. This enables managers, tutors and student supervisors to learn first-hand from our experienced facilitators how to run courses and workshops successfully. They can then run the workshops themselves.
For more information about workshops and the Trainers Resource Pack, contact us at:
Phone: 020 7607 8762