Help out at our day service for people with profound learning disabilities by providing support and helping with various activities, including music, art and cooking. Runs during weekdays from 10am – 3pm.
Role: Day Service Volunteer
Supported by: Day Service Coordinator
Location: Centre 404
|Length of commitment:||6 months minimum|
|Frequency:||1-3 days a week (flexible)|
|Estimated total hours:||10am – 3pm|
Purpose of the Day Service Volunteer role:
To support the running of our Day Service for people with high and complex needs by positively interacting with our members and help provide a rewarding and enjoyable experience for all involved.
A Day Service Volunteer may support people to socially interact more fully as well as engage positively in activities. They will also assist the support workers in the setting up and running of the Day Service. A Day Service Volunteer supports the group or club members to achieve more independence in their lives as well as helping reduce social isolation and interacting more with their community. The volunteer makes a positive impact on the club members both individually and as a group by helping provide enjoyable experiences, outings and activities. Volunteers will be part of a team and will be supported and supervised by the day Service Coordinator
Examples of the support you will offer:
- Enabling people to build confidence and self-esteem through activities.
- To provide and participate in a range of social activities, outings and skills-based groups.
- To support an individual or small group to engage more fully with the activities and with other members in the group
- To actively encourage participation in activities.
- To work with people in a way that takes account of their individual, cultural and religious needs.
- To work with people who have high needs and variety of communication needs
- To co-operate with other team members.
- To communicate with other team members and on a regular basis with the Volunteer Co-ordinator on how it’s going as well as reporting any incidents.
- Volunteers will be invited to support sessions and offered training where appropriate.
Volunteers will be expected to be a good listener and to be calm and patient with the ability to help someone understand issues without imposing their own opinion.
This role offers volunteers the opportunity to enable people to enjoy a friendly, relaxed and inclusive experience and to learn to be more confident, assertive and happy in their lives.
Previous experience of or knowledge of working with a vulnerable client group would be helpful but is not essential as training and an induction is provided.
Our Day Service:
Our Day Service will run three days a week throughout the year and will provide activities for people with more high and complex needs. The Service will be managed by a team of five including the Day Service Coordinator. We are looking for volunteers who will help support this project and can provide training and an induction. This role may also suit those who are interested in doing an NVQ in Health and Social Care.
As a Centre 404 volunteer you will receive:
- An induction to the role
- Reimbursement of out of pocket travel expenses relating to your volunteer placement (up to £5 per session)
- Ongoing support and supervision with the Volunteer Coordinator
- Any identified training required to enable you to perform the volunteer role to the best of your ability, which will be arranged by and paid for by Centre 404
- After 3 months as a Centre 404 volunteer, we will provide a reference if required for paid work or for other purposes
- Protection through Centre 404’s employee liability insurance policy whilst on the premises or engaged in any work on behalf of Centre 404
- Opportunities to meet other Centre 404 volunteers to share experiences
- Invitation to the Centre 404 Annual General Meeting Summer Garden Party
- Centre 404’s quarterly newsletter
This volunteer placement is subject to references and a DBS check. The recruitment of all volunteer placements adhere to Centre 404’s equal opportunities policy.